Wednesday 8 January 2014

noms #1

Gooey Quinoa Brownies

Okay, I'll admit I'm a little biased when it comes to food I've made. Since I know what goes into it, I often slip into a Joey mindset (Custard, good. Jam, good. Meat, good!) and eat whatever crap I make. But I've been looking for the perfect gooey brownie recipe for years and, by my noms, I think I've found it!
Right. So, I'm writing this to make myself remember the recipe. I always change stuff for different reasons, end up with something delicious, then never make it again because I didn't bother to write down instructions. Not this time! I googled some recipes, then ended up "adapting" this one to make it lazy-appropriate & suited to whatever I had in the fridge. It's not very accurate because I don't have measuring thingies and they're a bother to use anyway.

Ingredients:

  • 2-3 tbsp quinoa (I think I was going for 30 grams)
  • 1 1/2 glass water, tall  (again, going for ~340 ml, but who knows? that seemed about right)

  • some milk (~80 ml)
  • 1 egg
  • vanilla essence (can be skipped)
  • 6 tbsp melted butter (you need to cool it first)

  • ~100 g sugar
  • ~ 80 g cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon backing powder
  • salt
  • cinnamon

I'm not one to read long recipes, so this is how I write them down:

  1. melt butter. Let cool.
  2. quinoa + water : bring to a boil > simmer for 20 min. Mash it up it with a spoon. Let cool.
  3. add milk + egg + vanilla + butter and mix (I just poured them in the pan I cooked the quinoa in)
  4. bowl: sugar + everything else > add over quinoa. It should resemble a thickish pudding.
  5. put in the hot oven on quite low heat. Live for about an hour or until it looks done (poke at it, stab it with toothpicks, whatever, you know the drill).

I added 1 tbsp flower because it looked a bit too thin. Then I lined a pot with backing sheet & poured the mixture. I found out that recipes usually tell you what size pans to use. I had no idea what I was going to end up with, so I chose a pot at the end that looked like a good size. You can figure it out depending on how thick you want the brownies to be. I might try to get a second opinion on these. First, they have to pass a little test of time (it's safer that way) :P

No comments:

Post a Comment