Monday 15 April 2013

snippet #2

Or, I Do a Bad Job Describing an Eventful Weekend Full of Events


I've slept for 12 of the past 72 hours which, for me, means that I am stuck in the depths of my brain from which no amount of tea or coffee can ever rescue me and my only hope now is Sir Sleepalot. He isn't going to show up any time soon, though, and I've kept bumping into furniture and writing "teo" instead of "tea" four times before I got it right. However, I've had the best weekend in a really long time :)

1st night: Japanese Culture Night at uni. Spent most of it trying to find the rooms where events were held and miserably failed the second stage in a treasure hunt. But I had a lovely time at the Manga Caffè where I read the first volume of Bleach and most of Death Note. I haven't read any manga in 6-7 years and it was nice finishing reading something in a sitting after not being able to properly sit down with a book and read in over a month.

2nd night: My parents came and we spent the day shopping for appliances and furniture (I'm, as of now, living on my own!). Everything was bought from Ikea, so we stayed up late in the night trying to put up the bed, at least, which took about 3 hours longer than anticipated...

3rd night: I came home late, having spent the day carrying my stuff from my dorm room to the apartment on the underground. Then I had fun improvising a kitchen table, shelves and a wardrobe out of cardboard boxes and an umbrella. I am still quite proud of the result.

Today I will be attending a conference held by David Crystal, "The Story of English in 100 Words". I'm am very excited about it and I spent the morning watching videos of him on YouTube. I am also determined to read the book (which I got on my Kindle as there was no time to order it online) by then, so I'd better get started.

Edit: I decided to buy The Stories of English at the stand before going into the conference and I got it signed afterwards! It's such a beautiful book, appearance and content-wise :)



I'm tempted to save this as a draft and probably forget about it because it is so all over the place, but I've already missed a couple of days since starting BEDA and I've still got a million things to do today, so it's unlikely I'll get another chance to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment