Monday 2 September 2013

snap·shoot #4

Or, Hello, September!

I've been getting into the habit of carrying my camera around and snapping pictures whenever I witness something I'd like to remember see anything cute, basically. So... I'm sorry for all the cats   > ' . ' <


I don't feel like such an odd duck anymore for saying that I'm not too fond of summer. I like the long, sunny days, but mostly because the heat makes for a good excuse to stay indoors and laze about all day. You don't really feel a loss of time in summer, all days being pretty much alike. It's not like autumn, when the light changes from day to day, when you feel the days getting shorter, see leaves changing colours almost overnight and not know how long the rain will last, how many nice, warm days are left until it's all cold, and dark, and gloomy. 
So this is part of the reason why, out of the summer months, I like August best. August winds sometimes carry a whiff of the autumn to come. The other part is all the fruits and vegetables that turn red, yellow, black, or a deeper green, and get all nice and mushy and fit for eating. I always look forward to that first apple pie, with apples I've picked from the orchard, and to roasting aubergines and red peppers on an open fire for salads and sauces. I love the way our kitchen gets steamy from boiling jars filled to the brim with all sorts of jams. And I love the cooler nights when I can stay outside and watch the Perseids.
It's only the beginning of September and I can hardly believe how much things have already changed. I got that wistful autumn feeling already, along with the tingling of the cold on my skin. I feel it's time to reminisce about all summers past and get ready to turn in for winter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment